Tuesday, November 6, 2007

How I Found My Dress

I had tried on about six dresses at places in Tulsa and had picked one that I loved everywhere I went. We went to OKC to search on Saturday and went to four boutiques and two bridal "warehouse" places. In both of those, I tried on several I liked, but the people who helped me kept bringing dresses even after I said I didn't like something about a dress. I ended up leaving with dresses still left to try on in the room because it frustrated me! (I hate hate hate that Davids Bridal doesn't have mirrors inside the rooms, too!!)

It was kind of a God thing how I found THE DRESS. I knew it would have to be because I couldn't imagine loving a dress so much and knowing without a doubt that a dress was going to be THE DRESS I marry JT in. I had made an itinerary of places in Oklahoma City based on geography. (You would have been so proud of me!) Well one of the girls I was with (I went with two of my bridesmaids.) had to be home around five, so I decided to skip JJ Kelly and go to the furthest one on the street. Well, that shop ended up only having prom dresses, so we went back to JJ Kelly. Second God thing: this is an appointment-only store, but the lady had a cancellation RIGHT when I walked in, and said since we were from Tulsa and didn't know, we could have the spot.

You see, the place I found THE DRESS wasn't like other boutiques. They had dresses in the back and you told the worker what you wanted and they brought options. I was paired with the owner of the shop, I found out. She closes the door to my dressing room and waves her finger. "Strip down," she says matter-of-factly. I had no time to feel uncomfortable; this woman meant no nonsense! She made me put on one of those little strapless bra/corset things and strip to my underwear. I felt a little uncomfortable for a second, but then I didn't care that a total stranger was seeing me in my underwear if it meant she could help me find THE DRESS!

I tried on THE DRESS first and loved it, but wanted to see other dresses. Two more were iffy. I tried on a strapless dress that was gorgeous and it had a really pretty sash I liked. I was almost sold on that, but I felt an urge to try on THE DRESS again. When I tried it on a second time, I was sold. I knew it was THE DRESS for me. We tried different trains and headpieces with it and I couldn't get over how gorgeous it was and how it combined everything I wanted in THE DRESS with the things I had discovered I like from trial and error (like the neck on it). My eyes watered a little!

This purple hair lady came in and bought a pink wedding dress and veil to renew her vows for her 50th anniversary with her husband. She told us they got married because they were in love and "people didn't live in sin back in those days!" She went on to tell us that she has only been with one man and can't find girls nowadays who have saved themselves for their husbands. I was so proud to tell her differently, and to have both of my friends join in!

So now I have THE DRESS and it will be in on time and I just need to decide if I want a veil or a flower in my hair and all of that accessory mumbo jumbo!

(oh, and while I was in OKC, my handsome, wonderful JT washed Xi-Xi inside and outside and put a brand new bike rack on her! I love love love him!)

2 comments:

ACE said...

awwwwwwwwww!!!! oh my word, that is SO AMAZING!! that was SO GOD! thats so AWESOME!! im SO glad you found THE DRESS!! i wish i could have been there with you guys, :( ...soon, so very soon!! i cant wait to see you again! i miss you so much!!LOVE YOU ;)

Robyn said...

Well if only I would have known you wanted a JJ Kelly dress. There was one at Goodwill a few weeks ago. Granted, the sleeves and butt bow were a tad big, but we could have made it work.